Breakfast: the most important meal of the day, right? Well, with 60% of Brits admitting to skipping their morning meal at least once a week*, we’re not too sure. Many claim that they simply don’t have time to eat first thing while others are bored of the typical breakfast food options on offer – yep, cereal, we’re talking to you.
But, guess what? Breakfast doesn’t need to be boring. We’ve picked three of our favourite high protein breakfast ideas that pack in the protein as well as the flavour. Whether you’re looking for something a little bit special (a drizzle of our delicious Carb Killa® spread should do the trick!) or need something that’s easy to whip up for those busy mornings, we’ve got a recipe for you.
Red velvet French toast
A real twist on a breakfast classic – because bog standard toast just doesn’t cut it when you fancy something a little indulgent! This delicious, high protein recipe, courtesy of @theblondiebaker, ticks all boxes when it comes to macros and it tastes and looks pretty good too!
4 slices of Hovis low carb bread
2 large eggs
25g Hydra 6® protein, Chocolate Charge
30ml skimmed milk
Fry Light cooking spray, coconut
½ tsp red food colouring
1) Start by whisking the eggs, protein powder, food colouring and milk together in a large bowl
2) Next, spray 10 sprays of Fry Light into a frying pan and heat the pan on a low-medium heat
3) While the pan heats, quickly dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture – be sure to cover both sides but don’t fully soak the bread
4) Then place each slice of bread into the heated pan
5) Keep turning the slice of bread until nicely browned
6) Drizzle with your favourite topping – Carb Killa® spread is always a good shout or some tasty chopped fruit. But, remember, additional toppings are not included in the below macros!
Macros – per slice
Calories 163 | Fat 6.1g | Carbs 11.1g | Sugar 1.5g | Protein 13.1g
Ah, overnight oats. You’ve probably seen thousands of these recipes cropping up on social media but, hear us out, the added Grenade® twist takes this breakfast from average to ‘omg can I just have this every single day?’ Not only is it so, so easy to make but it’s super fulfilling too and, obviously, it tastes amazing because why else would we recommend it to you?! Give it a go – we promise it won’t disappoint.
1) First, add the Greek yoghurt, oats and protein powder into a bowl and mix together
2) Next, roughly crumble the Reload® bar into the mixture
3) Add half of the almond milk and mix well. Then add the rest of the almond milk and mix again – the liquid should form ‘puddles’ on top of the mixture
4) Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate overnight
5) The next morning, remove your mixture from the fridge, stir and enjoy! If you fancy adding something extra to your overnight oats, we highly recommend some chopped fruit or our delicious Carb Killa ® spread!
Macros - per serving
Calories 370 | Protein 34g | Carbs 36g | Fat 11g
Fresh protein shake
The trusty protein shake is a go-to for many of us but, let’s face it, it’s usually a quick fix for those mornings where we’re rushing through the front door rather than a breakfast we can’t wait to wake up to. If you’re keen to shake things up and add some excitement to your morning protein fix then this coffee-based protein shake recipe is a must-have addition to your breakfast repertoire. Give it a go for yourself!
A handful of ice cubes
1 cup of chilled, strong-brewed coffee or 1 shot of espresso
2 scoops of Hydra 6® protein, Killa Vanilla or Chocolate Charge
150ml of milk or water
30g vanilla yoghurt or Greek yoghurt for an extra protein hit
1) So, this one’s really simple – just throw all of the ingredients into a blender and blitz!
Voila! Three high protein breakfast ideas that are pretty easy to prepare and taste damn good! Which one will you try out first? Tag us in your photos over on Instagram: @grenadeofficial – we’d love to see all of your breakfasty goodness. For more recipes and nutritional advice, head over to our blog – we hear these mini Carb Killa® pancakes are the perfect recipe to curb your sweet tooth!
*Statistics from askattest.com